This potent multivalent antitoxin is specific for use as an aid in the temporary prevention or treatment of Clostridial enterotoxemia in cattle, sheep and goats caused by Types B, C toxin.
TOXOID OR ANTI-TOXIN?
- ANTI-TOXINS AND TOXOIDS: Why You Must Know The Difference
- Vaccines are toxoids; they prevent disease.
- Anti-toxins are used when a problem already exists. The two most frequently-used injectable medications used with goats that come in both toxoid and anti-toxin form are the overeating disease vaccine and the tetanus vaccine.DIRECTIONS/INSTRUCTIONS FROM COLORADO SERUM:
- Do not use within 21 days before slaughter.
- Shake well before use.
- Medication Must be refrigerated.
- Do not mix with other products.
- For prevention lasting approximately 3 weeks the following doses should be administered subcutaneously:Dosage goats (preventative) : 5ml
- FOR Emergency TREATMENT of weaned and adult goats, DOUBLE THE PREVENTATIVE DOSE.
- A MORE RAPID EFFECT CAN BE ACHIEVED BY INTRAVENOUS ADMINISTRATION, WITH REPEAT DOSAGES AS OFTEN AS 12 HOUR INTERVALS.
- What you need to know: When to use this medication? (thanks for the following information: Onion Creek Ranch)
- Anti-toxin vaccines are used in medical emergencies when immediate but short-term protection is required. Goat producers use two anti-toxin injectables: C&D Anti-Toxin and Tetanus Anti-Toxin. C&D Anti-Toxin should be used whenever overeating disease, ruminal acidosis, or any rumen-related toxicity is suspected to be the cause of the goat's illness. As with the vaccines (toxoids), the anti-toxins are used SQ (sub-cutaneously, i.e. under the skin). C&D Anti-Toxin is very safe to use and has a wide margin of error. It is one of the few medications which can be used without fear of hurting the animal. There is no such thing as a pneumonia "anti-toxin." When a goat develops pneumonia, antibiotics are required.
- If you suspect your goat has or could have ingested something by mouth that could be causing them to "not be themselves" such as not eating suddenly or sitting off by themselves or in distress or discomfort or lithargic, a C&D Anti-Toxin can certainly be used.
- For instance, one time a young kid goat was given too much oral dewormer and within 1 hour was obviously in distress and dieing (2 others given the same dose, had already died). This C&D Anti-Toxin was injected as an emergency treatment and saved the kid. Keep it on hand!
- Jeffers is a good place to purchase if your local farm store does not carry it.